Sunday, November 11, 2012

the greatest gift

Friday, the 9th, was my birthday.  Another year older! Groan.

I didn't have time to focus on the fact that I was another year closer to 40 though, because I woke up to the news that Evelyn, in Kijabe, had her baby!  Allow me to introduce you:


Lisa Wairimu Mbugua
born: November 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
2.7 kgs/5.9 lbs

the new happy family!

Evelyn did amazing - she went into the hospital at 6:30 am on Friday morning, and shortly after noon, the baby was born! She is basically a superstar because really, who does that?

I think that, since she was born on my birthday, she should be named after me.  And "Lisa" comes from Elizabeth.  So I am trying to convince them to cancel Lisa and switch it to "Beth" which is my middle name.   It seems only fair.

Who's with me?

There are not enough words to express my elation for them, but also the sense of sadness I felt (feel) because I wasn't there.  They were so essential to my {never ending} labor day, and I am sorry we couldn't return the favor.  But mostly, I'm just sad to not be there in Kijabe celebrating with them, helping them settle in, and running up and down stairs for Evelyn.  It is hard to be on the other side of the world.  I shed a few tears because the reality has finally settled on me that we're in the US, and we don't know when we'll next be in Kenya or see these friends who are so dear to us.  Tonight, for kicks, I looked into flights for December, when Dexter's on break: $11,000!!!  So, that's out.  And I feel the separation just a little deeper...

Oh and did I mention that she will be Kyalo's wife?  They've settled on a "reasonable" bride price of 1 million US Dollars.  Good thing we have 20 years to fund raise and negotiate that waaay down.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like to make a contribution to that noble cause. . .


 so much hair!

We love you, Lisa, and look forward to meeting you and to many happy memories together in the future.

Well done, Francis & Evelyn!  We love you, too.

{But, if she is sleeping through the night before Kyalo is, I may need to reevaluate our relationship.}

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, she and kyalo will have the CUTEST babies!

hows about the name, alisabeth? lisa. and beth. PERFECT!

we are so brilliant!

if you agree to a bride price of 2 million, do you think they'll let you switch the name?

Shiny said...

you make me laugh!!! i love how you have already picked Kaylo s wife!!!! sounds like you got his life sorted out already.. lol

am sorry you feel so far from Kenya!!! am sure it feels so horrible!!!

keep working on the bride price..:)

Shiny said...

and good job- whatever you did- i dont have to type in those security words- i can comment away:)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I can't stop laughing at the idea of switching the name if we increase the bride price. Hmmmm....definitely a thought.Love the blog though am not sure how super star I'll be feeling with all the night time feeds.You have been very much a part of this exciting journey even across the miles so God bless!
Evelyn

Jessica O'Keefe said...

She's so beautiful! And I LOVE the last line of the post :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Evelyn and Francis!

Thanks Jenna for sharing the lovely photos and the stories with us. God bless you and your family too.

Jacque 'Jaber' Ochieng'